Monday, January 08, 2007
Nancy in Wonderland
John W. Lillpop
Since her leap over and through the glass ceiling last week, Speaker Nancy Pelosi has unveiled a legislative agenda that would, if enacted, make Washington, D.C. the socialism capitol of the world.
Madam Speaker has drawn a line in the sand to mark her territory, and that of the ignoble left, by wrapping herself around incredibly foolish notions like these:
* The war on terror is being waged everywhere in the world—except in Iraq.
* It is OK to deny funds for additional troops in Iraq, because America has no vital interests there.
* America does have a vital interest in granting amnesty to 20 million illegal aliens here from the third world.
* Although denying funds for additional troops is acceptable, there should be no limit to the taxpayer money spent to accommodate invading criminals from Mexico.
* Anyone with the temerity, drive, ingenuity, and gall to earn more than $500,000 a year is clearly un-American, and is probably a greater threat to homeland security than Osama bid Laden himself.
* Excessively successful people must be taxed excessively as punishment for embarrassing the unwashed, less talented working class, and to discourage other bright people from becoming overly capitalistic.
And so America sets off on this zany venture into the world of extremism, otherwise known as Nancy in Wonderland.
May God watch over us, one and all, for the next two years.
John Lillpop is a recovering liberal, "clean and sober" since 1992 when last he voted for a Democrat. Pray for John: He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, where people like Nancy Pelosi are considered reasonable!